Followers

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Top 5 KDrama Series (RETURN of the COMEBACK) Part 1


“Annyeong!” (Hi/Hello)…“Mianhe..” (Sorry)…“Abeoji!” (Father)…”Gumopta!” (Thank You)…”Bogoshipda..” (I Miss You)…”Saranghamnida..” (I Love You)…etc etc…These are some Korean words/phrases that I’ve learned from being a KDrama Addict. YES! You read it right “ADDICT”. Scientific name: KOREANUS ADDICTUS haha (not the real term..it just came out of my mind).

The first time I got hooked with KDrama series was during “Lovers In Paris”, “Stained Glass”, “Save the Last Dance for Me”, “What Star Did You Come From” “Sweet 18” eras until Lee Dong Gun went to serve in the military (as a requirement for young Korean men). I also stopped watching these dramas because of long and same old plots of a rich young man/girl falling in love with a poor guy/girl and never-ending revenge.

BUT now…here I am! The Return of the COMEBACK. With this homecoming and to mark the 1st year of being a fanatic, I am sharing my TOP 5 KDrama series (2011 up to present)…Maybe one of these dramas is your favorite. Don’t WORRY! I’m not giving any spoilers haha

# 5: BOYS OVER FLOWERS and 49 DAYS
F4 Forever
These FLOWER Boys got my sister’s attention! And NOT ME hehe the Korean version of a Taiwanese hit drama, Meteor Garden (2001). When BOF was aired in ABS-CBN (Phil’s leading local tv channel), I told myself it’s the same plot, they just changed the names of the characters and adapt the Korean culture. Until 1 of my co-adiks pushed me to watch it because it’s different from the Taiwanese version and the OST (official soundtrack) is so nice. I told her OK I’ll add it to my “pila balde” (long list) of KDrama series.

            I started my BOF marathon after finishing 3-4 series…And she was right! The plot was there BUT the actors gave justice to their roles especially Lee Min Ho, who played the childish-bully type but romantic young man Go Jun Pyo. I like how the scriptwriters concise the story in 25 episodes . 1 season of Meteor Garden is 30 episodes same as the sequel. From 60 episodes down to 25 is already OVERHAULED! AND they pulled it off! Now, these four young men were already household names in Seoul (Kim Hyun Joong & Lee Min Ho are now Hallyu stars). A typical young couple’s journey with “me against my evil mom” story, through thick & thin bromance, giggling comedic scenes, and 4 gorgeous/billionaire bachelors = F4 rules FOREVER!
Best Scene/s:            Hilarious scenes of Go Jun Pyo 

Tied in 5th spot with my Flowers Boys is a tear jerker fantasy/romance drama of the LIFE of our loved ones if we are on the other side of the fence. As the synopsis (in kdrama.org), Shin Ji Hyun (played by Nam Gyu Ri) was enjoying absolute bliss as she was about to marry her fiancé, Kang Min Ho, BUT met an unexpected car accident leaves her in a coma. Until Scheduler, a sweet smiling boy next door reaper (Jung Il Woo), gave her a second chance to live BUT with a condition: she has to find three people outside of her family who would cry genuine TEARS for her in 49 days.

            Three tears in 49 days...So simple if you would think about it especially if you know you have friends that will truly cry, not only with their eyes BUT with their heart, for you. My Tita got addicted with this drama. She tried her best not to sleep just to be with Ji Hyun and how she will get her precious tears J Since the Tagalized version was shown around 11pm in ABS-CBN, she will watch it the next day in YouTube or other internet sites that has a replay as long as it’s Tagalog hehe She told me about this drama. The next thing she knew, I’m already watching IT! (on top of my other dramas! See I’m not really an ADDICT LOL) and she would ask me every now and then what will happen next. We even guessed who will give Ji Hyun’s second chance of living. The 1st tear she got was obvious. No doubt! From start to finish, she deserved to get her first precious tear. CLUE: The person who loves her the most.
 
            I got hooked because of 3 reasons…FIRST, the story and storytelling. Not a typical boy-girl type of courting and lovey-dovey on the side. It’s a love story of our lives. How we found what we’ve lost and start life again after losing someone that has been our LIFE. I like how the writers revealed each secret. How the story unfolded right before my eyes. “Wow!” “Uy!” “WHAT?!” are just some of my reactions every time a secret has been revealed. Especially the last unexpected SECRET. Because of this style of storytelling, the characters also had their own moments. And that leads me to my SECOND reason, Jung Il Woo! 
Jung Il Woo
The boy-next-door Scheduler! The first time I set my eyes (and heart) on him was like “Arrrgghhhh those SMILES! Killed me” haha Thank God for this drama! I found another KBoylet! hahahaha Seriously, He is one of the new breed of Korean actors that made my heart cry BUT smile at the same time. He knows his craft. He is not acting. He is Scheduler. I was touched how he loved his woman so much that he even asked from his “Boss” to give him a day with his one and only friend, supporter, lover and partner. That FAREWELL scene was so remarkable. I learned from him that there is LIFE after the big D. LAST reason is Jinan (county in North Jeolla Province, South Korea), home of the ever famous cherry blossom trees! Aside from Jeju, this is a must see place in South Korea. The scenery was so breath taking…so refreshing. One of the best romantic locations in a KDrama. 

Cherry Blossom Trees in Jinan
            A must watch for KDrama addicts like me. I have NO regrets in watching (until wee hours of the day haha) Relationships are the most important ingredient for us to be truly happy. So, what will you do if you were given another chance to live BUT with a task to complete in 49 days?
                                    Best Scene:          Farewell scene between of Song Yi Soo (Scheduler) and Song Yi Kyung (Diane)

# 4: FLOWER BOY RAMYUN SHOP and SCENT of a WOMAN
            Another Jung Il Woo starrer with his own version of “flower boys”…is an Eye Candy. When I found out he has another drama, I got excited and it’s Rom-Com! This romantic comedy deals with “pretty boys,” who with good looks and individuality, operate a ramen shop with lively college girls and experience the happenings of daily life. Yang Eun Bi (Lee Chung Ah) is a University student preparing for her civil service exam with the dream of being a high school teacher. She accidentally encounters Cha Chi Soo, an arrogant son of the biggest food conglomerate in Korea. Cha Chi Soo (Jung Il Woo) looks cool, confident and fascinates women with his bright smile and pure love. Both of them end up working at a ramen shop run by the lazy, Choi Kang Hyuk (Lee Ki Woo). (credits to: kdrama.org)

This was shown in a cable channel, tvN, so they forecasted that the viewer ratings will be low. Me & my co-adiks just watched it because we just feel that it’s worth the time & effort of online streaming…and to withdraw from our previous dramas. (Note: I really had a hard time to move on from a series that I got hooked on) The unexpected came…the 3rd episode doubled the ratings of the previous episode and they carried 2% viewership ratings until the last episode. 

I’m not biased BUT I really LOVE, Jung Il Woo here. Every time he does his wink and flashes his smile, I felt like I’m melting hahaha His aegyo (cute acts), hilarious scenes, team up with Lee Chung Ah and other cast and the love story of an intern and a high school arrogant student became the foundation of this drama. 
Pretty Boy Lee Ki Woo as Choi
Even Lee Ki Woo’s “Machete” like body is an attraction! Thanks to his 2 yrs military service hehe This was his 1st drama after he came out from the camp.  I also like the concept of how to make your own ramen…for us, it’s just a noodle soup but because of this drama, there’s a different side of the simple dish we got used of eating. Of course, I will never forget the KISS! The Hollywood Kiss! (thanks to: Catherine Deen’s FIVE Types of K-Drama Kissing Scenes oK Pop http://ph.omg.yahoo.com/blogs/okpop/6-types-k-drama-kissing-scenes-093001403.html) It’s W-O-W haha I even looked for the BTS (behind-the-scenes). I really envy you, Lee Chung Ah!  Hope I will be able to visit your FLOWER BOY RAMYUN SHOP!
Best Scene/s:     “Hollywood Kiss” of Cha Chi Soo and Lee Chung Ah; Lee Chung Ah’s confession to Cha Chi Soo and Cha Chi Soo’s AEGYO scenes (flashing his winks and to die for smile)

Lee Dong Wok and Kim Sun Ah
Next stop…A single mid-thirties workaholic woman who forgot to fix herself was given a limited time of living due to cancer of the pancreas. Her name is Lee Yoon Jae (played by Kim Sun Ah). She decided to quit her job at a travel agency and created a bucket list. She accidentally meets Kang Ji Wook, a rich handsome but lonely and stiff young man, in her first vacation trip alone in Okinawa. As the story goes, this Demi-God Ji Wook-ssi falls for her. At first, Yoon Jae resisted his love without telling him her real situation. If you were Yoon Jae, what are you going do? STAY but you continuously lie to Ji Wook that you’re OK or STAY away forever without telling him the truth…The truth of your real feelings for him and you only have 6 months of living.

Singing “You are so beautiful nae gaseume miryeowa seumyeowa dagawa beonjin ne sangchodo…” A typical 16 episode Korean drama with a mixture of comedy, romance and reality. Why reality? This is the only drama (that I’ve seen so far) that tackles everyday life of cancer patients. We know for a fact that cancer is one of the deadliest diseases today. Being with Yoon Jae for 8 weeks is an eye opener for me. When she was diagnosed with this dreadful illness, she made simple wishes. Some in her list were vacation trip to Okinawa, make Omma (Mom) happy, wear a wedding dress, learn Tango, be in love and marry the man she loves. Very simple yet time is not on her side. I like the writers’ way of giving Yoon Jae’s dreams come true. They did not give it immediately. They made sure that the Yoon Jae and the rest of the characters with the viewers will learn that there’s still LIFE after the Big C. As long as we’re still opening our eyes every time we wake up…we are ALIVE! 

Attraction or Distraction? :)
Kim Sun Ah is such a great actress. I salute her from head to toe haha I was touched by her portrayal especially in the scene on how she will tell her Omma about her poor health. Her Dad (in the story) died of cancer. Her partner, Lee Dong Wook is really a DEMI-GOD! This tall very good looking with natural pouting lips actor made my mind float for a while watching the shower scene (in Epi 4 and 6).  He is one of the Korean actors that will make you drool and in a Filipino saying “Kanin na lang ang kulang…ULAM na!” haha Acting wise..he pulled off his machismo style of being a next-in-line Chaebol (family-controlled companies in South Korea). And oh! The LOVE SCENE…so romantic and “KILIG”! Such a lucky Noona (older sister)! Their partnership paved the way! They’ve won an award in last year’s (2011) SBS Drama Awards: Top Excellence Awards for Best Actress & Best Actor (Soap Opera). The ending…the montage with Yoon Jae’s VO (voice over) is a must see. I’m happy I was able to discover another SCENT of a WOMAN.  
Best Scene/s:   Ji Wook sang a song for Yoon Jae admitting his love for her in front of their officemates 
Tango dance of Kang Ji Wook and Lee Yoon Jae is so INTENSE!
   
The much awaited LOVE SCENE
                                
                                                

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment